We are in the planning phases of the TED Talk Celebration for our Biography UoS. A TED talk is like a motivational speech that seeks to inform and inspire audiences. For more information click: https://www.ted.com/about/our-organization.
Mentor Text for Ted Talk that we plan to use:
“Most 12-year-olds love playing videogames — Thomas Suarez taught himself how to create them. After developing iPhone apps like “Bustin Jeiber,” a whack-a-mole game, he is now using his skills to help other kids become developers. (Filmed at TEDxManhattanBeach.)”
As we view the video we will do a critique:
- Notice how he shares information –
- Prepared & planned using notes
- Humor infused with information (lending his voice to his talk)
- Purposeful pauses allows the audience to process information
- He used graphics to augment his talk
Upon reflection for the Informational UoS when we produced a video as part of the celebration – we decided students need more structure, but on the other hand we want it to be authentic. This is how we envision their talks going:
- How did what you learned about your author’s life impact your life? Provide evidence & explain.
- Why are you passionate about your author? Why should others care?
- Name your favorite stories written by your author and explain why they are your favorites.
- Select an image that represents who your author is and select a quote to go with the image.
We all need a little inspiration. With that in mind, here is a favorite example of a TED Talk. Meet Simon Sinek as he talks about how great leaders motivate action: